Noel Rockmore, Bukowski, Gypsy Lou Webb



Lou tells the story about meeting Bukowski at the station and picking him up the first time sight unseen, "he was the drunk guy staggerring around the columns at the station."

New to the forum.

Know this has nothing to do with placing Bob Dylan in Gypsy Lou's vicinity in NOLA, tho I found the recollection in the quote above very interesting. Are there other recollections/observations of Buk during his time with the Webbs, or between '56-'66/when he became more well-known? (That is, outside of published work in chapbooks, etc., which is, yes, voluminous. I know I'm opening myself up for criticism here for not allowing the work to speak for the man, but there is always room complement the myth with interesting observations by worthwhile, outside parties.)

No, I'm not only asking for drunk stories, though the quote above might seem to imply that. (I also don't discourage them, though.)

For me, this seems to be an under-documented time of his life and the Sounes biography plays a little too loose with it for me. As does the documentary, BIT. I've done a good amount of research, and I've read the great majority of Buk's stuff, but there's something missing here, even though it was such a rich (and/or fraught) time for Buk the person.

It seems to me that this is the most dense time in Bukowski's life. In this span (roughly), he loses father/mother, JANE, makes regular clerk at the PO, FrancEyE, Barbara, busts gut, has Marina, and publishes with the Webbs. And about another 100 significant things...

I might be missing an obvious source, but, if so, please pass it on. Otherwise, I'm pretty curious.

What was this time? Here he's experimenting with his writing like at no other time in his life, and is more productive than any other poet on earth. There are details and flashes of who this strange person was then, but only in small amounts. Does anyone else see this as a problem?

Anyway, I'll take any help I can. This post is long enough as is.




Share your views...

0 Respones to "Noel Rockmore, Bukowski, Gypsy Lou Webb"

Publicar un comentario

Popular Posts

 

Categories

Recent Comments

Our Partners

© 2010 Charles Bukowski All Rights Reserved Thesis WordPress Theme Converted into Blogger Template by http://london2012diving.blogspot.com.ar/